When summer comes, I think about this strawberry refrigerator dessert from my youth that is light, fluffy, and cool. I’ve been trying to find the recipe or remember how to make it for several years. It features angel food cake pieces, strawberries, whipped cream, and strawberry gelatin. My mom didn’t remember it at all. Eventually I asked my sister and she did remember it. She said it was made with Dream Whip and suddenly how it was made all fell into place. I wondered if Dream Whip (a powder that you mix with milk to make a whipped cream substitute) was still made but when I went to the store it was right there on the shelf next to the gelatin and pudding mixes.
As you know, I’m big on taking a basic recipe and varying it according to what’s on hand. In this recipe, the Dream Whip could be replaced with Cool Whip (a frozen whipped cream substitute) or real whipped cream. Using real whipped cream seems like a good idea but Dream Whip is lighter and lightness is what I want in a summer dessert. Also this recipe makes a large batch and I suspect that prepared Dream Whip has a longer refrigerator life than whipped cream. Frozen strawberries could be replaced with fresh strawberries but fresh strawberries often aren’t available in summer. You could also substitute the strawberries and strawberry Jello with another fruit.
I grew up in a family where eight people usually ate together. I’m trying to cut all of my old family recipes down to serve about 4 but this recipe doesn’t reduce well. It uses a whole angel food cake which is hard to divide. If you can’t use the whole dessert in a few days put part of it in the freezer.
Strawberry Angel Cake Dessert
makes one 13″ x 9″ pan, 12 to 16 servings
- 1 angel food cake
- 1 3 ounce box strawberry gelatin
- 2 cups water
- 1 10 ounce box frozen sweetened strawberries
- 2 envelopes Dream Whip
- 1 cup milk
- Make gelatin according to package directions. Refrigerate until a thick syrup, not fully set.
- Break angel food cake into bite sized pieces and place in large bowl.
- Prepare Dream Whip according to package directions.
- Beat gelatin with electric mixer until fluffy. Add thawed strawberries.
- Fold Dream Whip into gelatin mixture.
- Fold into angel food cake. Place in 13″ x 9″ cake pan and refrigerate.